Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] I get an empty interface list on Win98

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:26:08 -0700 (PDT)
> I have installed ethereal.
> I wanted to start capture so I pressed Start
> but when I get the dialog of capturing, the interface list is empty
> so when I press OK , I get a warning message about wrong interface.

Presumably you have WinPcap installed (so that you *can* capture); do
you also have WinDump:

	http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/windump/

installed?

If so, then try running "windump -D"; it should list what WinPcap thinks
are the interfaces on the system.

If it doesn't list any interfaces, there may be a problem with WinPcap,
or with the installation of WinPcap.  (The installation instructions at

	http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/install/help/95.htm

don't seem to indicate that a reboot is necessary after installing the
packet capture driver, so I infer that's not the problem.)

If it does list interfaces, try typing one of those interface names in
the "Interface" box in the capture dialog box, and see if that works.

(Then let us know what happened, so we can see if this is a WinPcap
problem or an Ethereal problem or both, and try to fix it.)

> Yoram Cohen
> Director of Network Management, R&D
> Rad Data Communications Ltd.                    yoramco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 34 Habarzel St. TelAviv                      Tel. (972) 3-6459468
> Israel 69710                                    Fax. (972) 3-6440930

By the way, thanks to your fellow RAD Group member RADCOM for the stuff
on the "protocols.com" site - it's come in handy when writing
dissectors.  Note also that Ethereal includes some code to read captures
from RADCOM network analyzers.