Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal timings vs ping timings

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:48:53 +1000
I have seen this problem with the Windows ping in the past. The first
ping always gives a very high response time compared to subsequent ones.

ping MMM.NNN.50.1
PING MMM.NNN.50.1 (16.145.50.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from MMM.NNN.50.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=73 ms
64 bytes from MMM.NNN.50.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0 ms
64 bytes from MMM.NNN.50.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1 ms
64 bytes from MMM.NNN.50.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=1 ms
64 bytes from MMM.NNN.50.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=0 ms

----MMM.NNN.50.1 PING Statistics----
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max/med = 0/15/73/1

I believe that is an internal Windows issue (something to do with the
delay of loading the ICMP.dll) and not related to actual time-of-flight
of the ICMP echo.

When I have used windows ping in doing doing network analysis from
scripts I either disregard the first response (or use another ping
program!)

Martin Visser

Technology Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.