Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Major announcement

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:54:15 +0200
On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 09:42 +0200, Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Hi Erwin,
>
> Please see this reply on similar questions by John

Please note that you didn't answer a single question the first time and
didn't answer a single question this time.

> a) Ethereal(R) (the name) is ultimately owned by NIS Inc. Gerald couldn't
> hang on to that name, so he renamed the program. What NIS Inc. is doing
> with the name and the program is unknown.

This is not an answer on why the fork was done, why it was done in a
non-public way. It only answered a own created naming problem.

> b) Ethereal is 'dead in the water' (ready to be eaten by a shark :) )
> All core developers went to work on Wireshark, since they feel that is
> where the work continues. They have no more base to call home at
> ethereal.com.

All core-developers, seemed to have forgotten their user base and
non-core developers!

> Now it's just a matter of working the user community to come over the
> www.wireshark.org and enjoy the same fuzzy feeling. ;)

Yes Sir! The core-developers wish is our command!

> > First of all still nobody answered the questions people have on the why
> > this was done, just because Gerald got a new job is no reason.
> >
> > So what is the reason of this change?

Not answered!

> > Than it is good to know that all non-core-developers, those that only
> > help with pity little things like bug fixing and one or two little
> > dissectors, are not important enough to be informed about this before it
> > happens.

> > It would be interesting to know who those core-developers are, and who
> > is that "one notable exception" ?

Not answered!

> > Also as mentioned by someone else, it might be a good idea to put a
> > explanation on www.ethereal.com.

Not done!