Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Installing Plugins (0.10.14)

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:12:17 -0600
I'm not sure what you mean by "using a single setup file for windows".
But, the NSIS installer puts the plugins in the correct location, but
the build environment does not do that.

>From the man page:
About:Plugins
    The Plugins page lets you view the dissector plugin modules
available on your system.

    The Plugins List shows the name and version of each dissector
plugin module found on your system. The plugins are searched in the
following directories: the lib/ethereal/plugins/$VERSION directory
under the main installation directory (for example,
/usr/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/$VERSION),
/usr/lib/ethereal/plugins/$VERSION,
/usr/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/$VERSION, and $HOME/.ethereal/plugins
on UNIX-compatible systems, and in the plugins\$VERSION directory
under the main installation directory (for example, C:\Program
Files\Ethereal\plugins\$VERSION) and
%APPDATA%\Ethereal\plugins\$VERSION (or, if %APPDATA% isn't defined,
%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Ethereal\plugins\$VERSION) on Windows
systems; $VERSION is the version number of the plugin interface, which
is typically the version number of Ethereal. Note that a dissector
plugin module may support more than one protocol; there is not
necessarily a one-to-one correspondence between dissector plugin
modules and protocols. Protocols supported by a dissector plugin
module are enabled and disabled using the Edit:Protocols dialog box,
just as protocols built into Ethereal are.

You could build the plugin and copy it to the right location, then run ethereal.

--gilbert