Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [Proposed Patch] netxray.c: display frame time reflecting TZ

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:46:19 +0100
Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 16.01.06 18:34:40:

> Good points:
>
> 1. I should note that the Windows sniffer appears to store TZ in hours so it
>    presumably doesn't handle the non-hour cases either.
>    (I wonder what would be stored as the TZ for a sniffer capture taken
>    in the Newfoundland TZ).

Or even more prominent: New Delhi, India which uses UTC +05:30!

BTW: Around christmas I added Sections to the Users Guide about Time Stamps, Time Zones and Checksums, see:

http://www.ethereal.com/docs/eug_html_chunked/ChapterAdvanced.html

You (or anyone else interested) may review and send comments of buggy or incomplete parts.

> 2. I hadn't thought about the issue of displaying capture time vs local time.
>    Currently all frame times display as local time (whether reading from a
>    pcap file or a sniffer file or ...) thus displaying capture time just
>    for certain sniffer captures without telling the user what is being
>    displayed is not a good idea.

Yes, displaying some files with local and some with capture time *is* a bad idea!

>    Trying to somehow convey which time is being displayed is a bigger issue.

I was thinking about this, but as far as I remember someone (Guy?) mentioned that practically
every sniffer uses UTC to store the time stamps. Seems not to be true in any case ...

Could be added to the menu as:

- View | Time Display Format | Local Time
- View | Time Display Format | Capture Time

or such.

That would require us to do some work in the wiretap (getting the UTC time offset from the capture file), display and menu code but shouldnt be too difficult.