Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Buildbot crash output

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:10:20 -0600
The recent changes to emem.c are turning up previously undetected
errors.  Unfortunately, the current code aborts abruptly without
providing any useful information.  (Canary values in emem.c are checked
some time after they've been overwritten, so I'm not sure there _is_ a
way to provide any useful information other than "a canary got stomped.")

Bugs 665 & 666 were caused by the SRVLOC dissector.  I pasted valgrind
output into bugs 667 and 669, but I haven't had a chance to look at them
yet.

To generate the valgrind output I uncommented the lines

/* #define EP_DEBUG_FREE 1 */
/* #define SE_DEBUG_FREE 1 */

in emem.c, recompiled, and ran tethereal under valgrind, e.g.

libtool --mode=execute valgrind ./tethereal \
    -nVxr /tmp/editcap.43c51fa3.pcap > /dev/null