Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Patch for UDP header length

From: Graeme Hewson <ghewson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 22:53:00 +0000
Ulf Lamping wrote:

Hi Graeme!

Just wanted you to know, that the usage of hidden fields is deprecated for some time, and shouldn't be used in new code.

This is because hidden fields have some serious usability problem.

It's better to use a tree for this, so the user will see the available fields and can build a corresponding filter string even if the field in question is currently not "valid".

Regards, ULFL

Ulf, if you mean the call to proto_tree_add_uint_hidden(), I did wonder about that, but all I'm doing is modifying the existing code. I have a case where the UDP header Length field is longer than it should be (which I don't feel able to share), and my patch simply warns about that.