Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] pcap_lookupdev of WinPCap question

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:30:51 -0700
Nuno Magalhaes wrote:
How does ethereal retrieves all network adapter interfaces using pcap_lookupdev?

If you have WinPcap 3.1, it doesn't - it retrieves them using pcap_findalldevs().

If *you're* using WinPcap 3.1, *you* shouldn't be using pcap_lookupdev(), either - *you* should be using pcap_findalldevs() or pcap_findalldevs_ex().

If you're using a version of WinPcap earlier than the 3.1 release (if you're using one of the alpha or beta versions of 3.1, you're using a version earlier than the 3.1 release), you should stop using whatever you're using, and start using WinPcap 3.1 - it's the only version the WinPcap developers support, and it fixes a bunch of bugs and adds additional capabilities.

This function will only retrieve me the string: \Device\NPF_GenericNdisWanAdapter

That sounds as if you're using WinPcap 3.1. Stop using pcap_lookupdev(), and start using pcap_findalldevs() or pcap_findalldevs_ex():

	http://www.winpcap.org/docs/docs31/html/group__wpcapfunc.html#ga7