Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Adding interface in Ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:49:02 -0700
kavita wrote:

I am trying to monitor IP traffic over a dial-up connection to the Internet. Does anyone have answer to the following question.

1.  How to specify dialup interface in  Ethereal?

Nobody has an answer to the question if it's phrased in that fashion, as the answer depends on the OS on which you're running.

On many UN*Xes, the adapter will have a name such as "ppp0". It might not be possible to open it, and thus the interface might not show up in the drop-down list in the "capture options" dialog, until the connection has been established.

On Windows, you should use WinPcap 3.1; see

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup/PPP#head-233856b226f578c69673cf58c051c9164ff0bafb

for details.