Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal and accessibility?

From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:32:34 -0400
Hi all,

I apologize if this is the wrong list to be asking this on; however, the
general users list didn't seem like the appropriate place, so please let me
know the proper list to ask this.

I was wondering if there are any movements, thoughts, or ideas about
accessibility in the development of ethereal. By accessibility, I mean the
ability of users, that use assistive technology, to use ethereal. For
example, I am visually impaired so I use a screen reader to read me what is
going on. It is reading this email as I type it, and I can have it read SSH
sessions, text processing, command line shells, and so forth.

I know this sounds like a platform specific question, and I am sorry to
report that it is. The reason is that in Windows we have MSAA which is
Microsoft Active Accessibility, and in GNOME we have the gnopernicus screen
reader which is part of the GNOME accessibility project. Also, there are
screen readers like SpeakUP for some Linux distros. Point being, it is
platform dependant, but I think it is still possible to do cleanly.

Anyways, I do apologize again if this is the wrong forum to ask this in, and
I look forward to any responses you may have.

Take care,
Sina