Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] decimals not accepted in substrings - can youconfirm a bug?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 01:19:04 -0700
Visser, Martin wrote:

The fieldds ip.src,ip.dst and ip.addr are "special" and can't be indexed
directly.

Actually, that's true of any IPv4 address, as well as being true of integral types. "ip.src", "ip.dst", and "ip.addr" aren't different from any other IPv4 address fields, they just happen to have a type (IPv4 address) that doesn't support "slicing".

IPv6 addresses, however, are "sliceable"; I'm not sure there's a strong reason to forbid it on IPv4 addresses (or perhaps even on any of the integral data types).

Unfortunately (and the manual isn't all that clear on this) though
integers are able to be represented by "decimal, octal, or hexadecimal",
this doesn't apply to the byte values in the substring. These have to be
hex (also shown above)

The manual should probably be fixed to make that clear. If there's a bug (and I'd argue that there is), that's the bug - the manual doesn't indicate that it's the numbers in the index expression, not the numbers in a byte string, that can be in decimal, octal, or hex.

(In any case, as noted, the right way to do subnet comparisons is with "{IPv4 field} == {addr}/{subnet bits}"; that can do more than comparing particular bytes of an IPv4 address can, *and* it's arguably closer to the way most people would express it, and more convenient to express as a result.)