Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] profinet maintainer-clean

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:46:36 +0200

Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 21.10.05 14:04:53:

> Hi list,
>
> Why is there no maintainer-clean target in the profinet Makefile.nmake?
> It's call is also missing from the plugin Makefile.nmake

Well, I've implemented the profinet plugin and simply didn't know about the maintainer-clean target.

BTW: do we really need all the clean, distclean and maintainer-clean? That's a lot of stuff to maintain in the Makefile.nmake's and I don't see the real benefit ...

Things are a bit different on unix and Win32 here. Unix *users* might want to compile things, therefore the difference between clean (for users) and distclean (for developers, as distclean requires some more tools to build).
However, Win32 *users* will not compile Ethereal, so we could force *developers* to have the whole toolchain available (which also makes it easier to describe and understand which tools are needed). This way we could remove the clean target completely.

I don't know what the maintainer-clean is doing, and I have doubts if it's needed for Win32 development (others may disagree here).

Jetzt gratis testen! http://freemail.web.de/home/landingpad/?mc=021130