Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Update to expert data

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:24:07 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:

Expert data must perform a re-dissection to trigger the NCP dissector.

That's a bug.

Change the call cf_retap_packets() to cf_redissect_packets().

cf_redissect_packets() should *ONLY* be used if the expectation is that the actual dissection will change - i.e., that the Info column or the protocol tree will be generated differently as a result of some change made, e.g. a protocol preference change.

cf_redissect_packets() causes more work to be done, so it's slower, *and* it causes an ugly redisplay of the packet list.

There must be a real misconception somewhere. Why it is not enough to call cf_retap_packets(), maybe using code parts under if(tree)?.

If that doesn't work, there's a bug somewhere in some dissector.