Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Note on r16258 / Bug 537

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:23:31 +0200
Jaap Keuter wrote:

Hi list,

Since it seems worthwhile to include a bugfix on a call to
fragment_add_check() in 0.10.13, it may be considered to repair the
documentation on this part as well. I've done so in a patch to the EDG
send in on Oct 13th. It has not been accepted/rejected so far.
checked in

On another note I proposed a patch to the editcap man page. Ulf suggested
a more informative statement about packet ranges. I've included that in
the synopsys as well as presented some examples. Please provide feedback
with better real-life examples so I can use them.
Your second approach looks good to me, some questions (I'm using editcap often):

      To delete packet 1000 from the capture file use:

          editcap capture.pcap sans1000.pcap 1000

Well, you might replace "sans1000.pcap" by "without1000.pcap".

Is this really this way? I would expect that only packet 1000 is in the capture file then.

      To cut off a capture file at packet 500 use:

          editcap capture.pcap 500.pcap 501-

          or

          editcap -r capture.pcap 500.pcap -500

Sounds unlogical. I would expect 501- would cut off packets 1-500, and -500 to cut off everything after 500

Isn't it possible to add ranges like: 10-20,30-40?

Regards, ULFL