Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Win32: Switching to GTK2.6 needs some more changes

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:09:55 +0200
Hi List!

I've looked at what to change to support the current stable GTK2.6 version (the 2.4 release is quite outdated now).

The Makefile changes are almost trivial, so far so good.

However, the filename handling in the Win32 GTK code seems to be changed, from former code page based (or UTF16?) to UTF8 encoding. This makes trouble with internationalized file- and dirnames (german Umlaute, japanese, ...), see:

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html
http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/glib/glib-File-Utilities.html

The above suggests to replace all POSIX filename related functions (open, fopen, ...) with the corresponding GTK functions (g_open, g_fopen, ..., avail. since GLib 2.6).

My tendency would be to encapsulate all such calls by a new set of our own macros (eth_open, eth_fopen, ...) which points to the appropriate function (open or g_open) depending on the GLib version and replace all currently existing calls in Ethereal: e.g. open() -> eth_open().

I didn't had a deep look at the usage of the zlib in wiretap, but it should be possible to find a suitable workaround there (by using gzdopen in all cases).

Any ideas for additional pitfalls?