Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] [Announce] SS7 monitoring hardware now avail

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:53:33 -0700
Jacques, Olivier (OCBU-Test Infra) wrote:

A versatile SS7 monitoring solution based on E1/T1/J1 PCMCIA and PCI boards is now available for winpcap/libpcap based monitoring applications running on Windows NT/2000/XP - like Ethereal for Windows! This allows doing a live non-intrusive monitoring of E1/T1/J1 links with SS7 signalling.

Thanks.

I've moved the Wiki description of this from the SS7 page to a new CaptureSetup/SS7 page, and put information on some other mechanisms for SS7 capture there as well. You might want to expand the item there with more details (see the Discussion section).

This monitoring solution may be extended per request to include support for ISDN PRA protocols like ISDN, LAPD, LAPB and Q.931.

ISDN would probably require a new DLT_ type for ISDN; if you plan to do that, ask tcpdump-workers@xxxxxxxxxxx for the new DLT_ type (you should join the list before sending - it's a low-volume list).