Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Output feature request: XSLT processor

From: Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafalov@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:06:25 -0400
Hi,

I wonder how difficult would it be to incorporate an XSLT library into
Ethereal (e.g. libxslt http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/)?

It would be really nice to be able to say 'Save trace using stylesheet
XXX'. The current options allow to save either bytes without metadata
or ALL of the metadata. Being able to chose exactly which metadata and
data is saved would allow many additional ways to use Ethereal (long
tail benefits, etc).

I know that it is possible to save PDML and run XSLT engine over it,
but for any reasonable sized trace, PDML is absolutely huge and takes
long time to both write out and process. If it were possible to apply
XSLT straight to in-memory interface instead of serializing into and
deserializing from XML, it would be much faster and only output
specific fields.

I am aware of MATE, but I don't feel it covers the same niche I am
interested in, at least not without black magic.

Unfortunately, I am not a C/C++ programmer, but if somebody can do the
code, I will be happy to help with the documentation.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
      Alex.