Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: FT_GUID - use it in DCE RPC dissectors, etc.?

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:10:10 -0400
On 7/4/05, Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> kukosa@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > User: kukosa
> > Date: 2005/07/04 08:04 AM
> >
> > Log:
> >  new field type FT_GUID
>
> Should this be used in, for example, DCE RPC dissectors?

Yes, I think so.

I have changed the dcerpc idl2eth compiler to generate FT_GUID hf fields.

I have changed dissect_dcerpc_uuid_t() to accept either FT_STRING or
FT_GUID (untill all dissectors are converted)

I regenerated and tested with a DRSUAPI capture containing a lot of GUIDs.

Note that the FT_GUID support is still buggy and only works correctly
for big endian representation.
The GUID actually starts with one 32bit integer followed by 2 16 bit
integers which are represented in either LE or BE format depending on
circumstances.
guid_to_str() thus needs to be passed one more parameter to indicate
byte order  which we pass to proto_tree_add_item() anyway.