Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Is the hiding of protocol fields (e.g. bad checksum) in gener

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:49:40 +0200

Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 08.07.05 18:09:33:

> Well it's not a part of the real packet data, is it?
That's why it has to be marked as [generated].

> So, littering the packet display with all kinds of analytical data  about
> the health of the packet is just not a good idea.

Why not? In the end, what is Ethereal all about? It's about network protocol analyzing.

So why not put analytical data into the display?

Are your concerns about the display of these information at all, or the place where to display them? Do you have an alternative idea where to put this kind of data into?

BTW: that's about the topic, that you'll find in the wishlist about "expert output". There seems to be demand for that kind of info and I'm trying to bring some of the internal information and features into the display somehow.