Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Is the hiding of protocol fields (e.g. bad checksum) in general a

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:36:00 +0200
Hi List!

I'm currently looking at the checksum protocol fields. For example, the TCP checksum will usually look like:

Checksum: 0x5424 [correct]

and if it's bad:

Checksum: 0x5424 [incorrect, should be 0x1234]

In this case, a hidden boolean field is added to be able to filter on this item (e.g. to see only "bad checksummed" packets).

Question: Why do we hide this field at all?

I don't see any good reason to hide this (and alike) fields. If someone wants to use it, he must *know* that it's available and must *know* it's name. This doesn't seem to be very intuitive.

Is there any reason I'm too blind to see?

IMO this field should be visible and marked as generated, so it will look like: [Bad Checksum: True]

Regards, ULFL

P.S: The same *may* apply to most (all?) other hidden fields as well?!?