Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] What are all the softwares is needed?

From: "Erik Sternerson" <Erik_Sternerson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 09:19:51 -0700
Cook, Timothy wrote:
>Did you check the WIKI link supplied in the original message?
>http://wiki.ethereal.com/Development_2fEtherealDevelopersGuide?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=developer-guide-us.pdf
>Section 2 is the tools section & 2.3 lists the mandatory & optional tools.

Yeah, that's a nice looking list.

Questions though. And this still refers to being able to run 'nmake -f makefile.nmake setup',
But setup contains these requirements for a reason, right?

The file win32-setup.sh in the /tools/ directory uses 'which'.
Won't work without. Isn't mentioned with the mandatory tools.

Config.nmake specifies python as 'env python'. Env.exe is a part of coreutils.
Won't work without (at least not 'out of the box'). Isn't mentioned with the mandatory tools.

Quote 1: (p.58)
Tip!
It's a really good idea to use the Win32 automated library download to install the required
libraries as it makes this download very easy.

Quote 2: (p.58)
Then enter at the command line:
> nmake -f Makefile.nmake setup
This will first check for all the various tools needed to build Ethereal, as described already in Section
2.19, "Win32: Verify installed tools".

Wait.. what's this? 2.19... Guess I should have read that instead. Nice list of all tools it'll use.
Doesn't mention package name (tricky for 'env') and doesn't mention 'which', but it's better than the one before!
Also 'find' seems to be missing? It is in makefile.nmake's 'REQUIRED_TOOLS'

Sorry about being a jerk, but it took me quite a while to figure out which cygwin packages were needed :(

I'm gonna go and stay silent now, until I have something constructive to contribute :)

Erik