Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] My last patch needs working

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:48:44 +0200
Javier Acu�a wrote:

>Hello Guy
>
>As you may recall, I sent a patch to allow Ethereal to read from a socket. I claimed that I managed to get all working OK, but I didn't, I'm sorry about that.
>
>What my patch adds, is two small text input areas where the user can provide some "IP address" and port number in the 'Capture Options' dialog.
>
>The problem is that those values are never added by "capture_opts_add_opt" (no wonder, since I didn't wrote any code there to do that), just the values from "capture_opts_init" are setted (which are the default values).
>
>After reading the code from gtk/main.c I gather that all preferences are properly setted by calling "capture_opts_add_opt(...)" (around line 2000 of gtk/main.c), and that preferences are parsed from command line arguments in 'argv'.
>
>Now, what I don't understand, is how the values from the 'Capture Options' dialog show up in the 'argv' array of gtk/main.c for everything except the 2 text areas I added.
>

>I think that if I'm able to pass the 'IP address' and 'port number' values from the 'Capture Options' dialog, to the 'argv' array, then I could add some code to "capture_opts_add_opt" to properly set the IP address and port number for each new capture.
>
>Thank you for your time and thanks in advance for any help you can provide me. In case you're wondering why I'm addressing you, it's because you seem to know a lot of those parts of the Ethereal source code.
>
>Javier Acu�a

Hi!

To better understand the inner workings of the capture engine, see:
http://anonsvn.ethereal.com/ethereal/trunk/docbook/edg_graphics/ and
http://anonsvn.ethereal.com/ethereal/trunk/doc/README.capture which both
are also part of the Ethereal sources.

I've recently updated README.capture, so don't use any older version :-)

Regards, ULFL