Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [Patch] Etheral reads from socket

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:01:28 +0200
Javier Acu�a wrote:

>Here I'm sending a small patch that allows Ethereal to read data from a server. I already tested it with a server that waits an incoming connection and, when a client connects, it send data through the socket.

What is the server you are referring to?

>I added some options to the 'Capture' GUI to specify IP address and port number. The only problem is that I can't get the values from the preferences dialog to work. It will always pick up the default values. Can someone help me please?
>
>Details:
>
>Adds socket related options to capture_opts struct.
>Adds code in capture_loop.c to allow reading from a socket, it's mostly adapted from reading from a pipe.
>Adds code in capture_dlg.c to allow setting IP and port numbers. This needs improvement.
>
>Once I can figure out how to solve the aforementioned preferences' bug, I'll add some more code to allow Ethereal to send an HTTP GET message to a server, and then read data from the socket.
>
>After that, I will test my changes on Windows, and make the appropriate changes, if necessary.

Before doing any further work on this, you might think about some things
first:

What about authentication? Is anyone allowed to capture from the remote
host?!?
Why invent another method, the Winpcap people already invented a similar
method for remote capturing?
How to bring this into the capture options dialog (and maybe others) in
a convenient way, there are already *a lot of* parameters in there?

Maybe some other topics are also needed to be discussed first.

Regards, ULFL