Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Decoding SCCP from a trace

From: Thomas Steffen <steffen.list.account@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:06:31 +0200
Hi,

I would like to decode SCCP (that is SS7) packages that I traced just
above the MTP3/SCTP layer. What is the best way to get those packages
into ethereal, in real time if possible?

I thought I might send the packages via UDP to a port on the
development machine, and the Ethereal can capture and decode them.
However, I cannot find a way to decode UDP content with the SCCP
dissector. What do I have to do to change that? I know that UDP
usually does not carry SCCP, but it seems the simplest possible
solution.

An alternative would be to pipe the package through a named pipe (or a
network socket), but then I would probably need to write a small
wrapped protocol. And while I heard that Ethereal can read from a
pipe, I don't know how to configure that either.

So if I could make SCCP appear in the "Decode As" box for a UDP
stream, I would be a lot closer to my goal. Any ideas?

Thomas