Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Compiling ethereal as PIE

From: Radek Vokál <rvokal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:12:25 +0200
Hi

 has anyone tried compiling ethereal as PIE executable? I was trying to
do so but without any luck so far. I think it would be great for linux
systems to compile ethereal with -fPIE option.

For those who don't know about PIE, here's nice snip which explains this
gcc option.

PIE executables are in themselves randomized, and in addition will
ignore the prelink "fixing" of addresses, and thus making it near
impossible to find the address of the app you want to exploit..

With ethereal I like the last part especially :)

Radek

--
Radek Vokál <rvokal@xxxxxxxxxx>