Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Google "Summer of code"

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 02:49:55 -0700
vasanth.manickam@xxxxxx wrote:
I was wondering if the Ethereal community could take part in this
http://code.google.com/mentfaq.html as a Mentoring Organization. Me and
a couple of other students are interested in working on the remote
capture module of ethereal over the summer.

To which remote capture module are you referring?

WinPcap includes remote capture capabilities, and a lot of the code will probably just work on UN*X as well, although the *current* protocol doesn't, I think, have as much authentication capability as some might want - perhaps something SPNEGO-based is called for, allowing the client and server to negotiate what flavor of authentication to use.

Remote capture really belongs in libpcap/WinPcap, so that it's available to all applications (or, at least, to all applications that use an API capable of supporting the authentication required by the capture server).