Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: capture IF tcp

From: "Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:36:55 +0200
Pilz Rene <rene.pilz@xxxxxx> schrieb am 31.03.05 16:16:23:

> Hi
>
> At the moment I am thinking to implement a capture device, which is
> remotely able to trace the data. This should enable one to take a look
> at the data from a capture-bot at a central office.
>
> I thought, that this should be added in the capture dialog as an
> additional device, so that a person can online look which packets passes by.
>
> As I already looked at the source code, I got some idea how does the
> code might look like. But still I will need some time to understand the
> relations beween the parts.
>
> As I have seen in the development-list you have already worked in this
> area of the code. Therefore it would be nice, when you can tell me your
> thoughts.

Hi Rene!

Discussions about such features should not be done privately, so I'll CC my mail on to the list.

Yes, I was doing a major redesign of the capture engine code, as this was simply a mess before.

As my main notebook is currently in repair, I won't continue this work in the next days until my notebook is back.

To your question:

Adding different capture devices were discussed on the list already before.

Some people will argue, that features like this should be added to libpcap/Winpcap, so all programs using these libs can use the feature.

I tend to agree with them, as having a lot of different capturing devices in Ethereal with different API's might not be the thing I like to see :-)

Please note that WinPcap has already a built in remote capture feature. I didn't used it, so I can't tell you how well it's going.