Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] How to trace Ethereal on WinXP using MSVC++?

From: "Greg Morris" <gmorris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:32:16 +0200
If you are just wanting to debug Ethereal then the Win32 binaries should already include the debug symbols by default. You can look at the file config.nmake and ensure that the debug switch is enabled...

# Linker flags
# /DEBUG generate debug info
LOCAL_LDFLAGS=/DEBUG
Once you have a valid binary with debug symbols you can easily debug Ethereal by opening up the binary from within MSVC.

So from within Visual Studio just click on the file/open menu, change the file extension type to be all files, then browse to the installed location of the Ethereal binary. Typically, c:\program files\ethereal... Once you have it open you should see ethereal.exe listed in the far left window of Visual Studio. To execute Ethereal just press the F5 key. If you want to break within some location within Ethereal then just open a source file and set a break point. The execution of Ethereal.exe will halt at the specific location. You can then step through the source code to isolate/debug you issue.

I assume this is the information you were looking for. If not then please clarify your question. If you are looking to build Ethereal from within the Visual Studio GUI then I am not going to be much help to you. The only way I know of building Ethereal is through the command line interface.

Greg

>>> anthony_johnson@xxxxxxx 3/29/2005 4:09 PM >>>
Hi, everyone!
I'm using WinXP and MSVC++ 6.0. How can I trace (debug) Ethereal?
I have one decision, but it's not so convenient. I create a "Makefile
project" with command line "nmake -f Makefile.nmake", as Guy Harris advised.
That's working, but very uncomfortable.
Is anyone have another decision how to create a project (workspace) from
Makefile.nmake?
Or maybe there's another way to debug (trace) Ethereal on WinXP using MSVC++
6.0?
Thanx.
Anton.