Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] New View menu checkitem: "Colorize Packet List"

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:45:18 +0200
John McDermott wrote:

> When I first did the color stuff I asked for suggestions.  All I put
> in  the default scheme was a red for tcp and a green for arp.  These
> were  designed to be close to what LanWatch used.  LanWatch is/was a
> commercialization of some old DOS code from CMU and someone else.  At
> one  point it was called netwatch.  Anyway, I got requests for schemes
> and  comments that most folks seemed to want custom colorizations
> based on the  project of the day.  As a consequence, I abandoned my
> efforts to create a  default color scheme.

Hi!

Now I seem to meet the original author of the coloring code :-)

There seems to be some misunderstanding, what a default coloring scheme
should be. I don't think there's a coloring scheme for all possible ways
Ethereal is used, as the requirements differ *a lot*. There might be
some basics like TCP/IP, but even that protocols are not used by all
Ethereal users.

So what I would like to have is the following:

Provide a very basic set of filters and rules of commonly known
protocols (TCP, HTTP, ...), so a newbie get's an idea what the feature
is all about and get some ideas to start it's own experiments. Providing
a blank page as a start isn't a good start at all :-)

Regards, ULFL