Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] CRITICAL: Ethereal 0.10.10 Locks up Windows XP Solid!

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:13:42 +0200
Idon . wrote:

> Therefore, given that I have been operating with these components for
> several monts, problem free,

That don't necessarily mean that there is no problem with these components.

> and given that "Update list of packets in real time" works in Ethereal
> 0.10.9 without problems.  Could a developer please look into this
> problem.

What do you think I'm doing here? If you have a crash on your machine
that no one else has, it's difficult to find that problem.

> Saying it is Winpcap's fault, when one version of Ethereal works and
> the updated version does not,

I didn't said it *is* Winpcap's fault. I just said that I suspect it to
be a Winpcap problem from the symptoms you described.

> is not very helpful.

Well, telling us there's a bug in the new Ethereal release and someone
has to fix it isn't very helpful either.

> Why is this a problem with Ethereal 0.10.10?  What changed?

There were some more changes, too much to list. If it would be an
obvious problem, I would be looking in that direction.

>> Which Ethernet card/driver do you use?
>> Could you try a different WinPcap version (e.g. 3.0) and see if the
>> problems remain?

Regards, ULFL