Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] CRITICAL: Ethereal 0.10.10 Locks up Windows XP Solid!

From: "Idon ." <fehe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:45:23 -0800
This IS NOT a Winpcap bug. It's an Ethereal bug, because it happens only when "Update list of packets in real time" is selected. If "Update list of packets in real time" is not selected, capturing works fine. If "Update list of packets in real time" is selected, the system locks up.

Ulf Lamping wrote:

Idon . wrote:

> If you enable "Update list of packets in real time" under "Display
> Options" of the "Ethereal: Capture Options" dialog and click "OK" to
> perform the capture, Ethereal locks up Windows XP solid.  The only
> remedy is a hard reboot.  I do not recall seeing this problem in
> Ethereal 0.10.9.  I have even tried one of the latest development
> builds and get the same lockup.
>
> My System:
> Intel PIII 933 on i815
> 512 MB RAM
> Windows XP SP2 + patches
> Winpcap 3.1beta4

Hi!

If you're getting a hard crash while capturing, this will almost
certainly have something to do with WinPcap. Don't know, if "Update list
of packets in real time" will make any difference.

You might try a WinPcap non beta version.

I've running on a similar machine, with the exception of not installed
the XP-SP2 and don't have any such problems "for years".

Regards, ULFL