Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Improving filter speed

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 05:10:51 -0400
Ok,

Can you
1, change the new variable infilter to a better name   like
is_referenced  or something
2, change the proto_tree_is_null() function to only take one
parameter, the protocol hf_field and return a gboolean TRUE/FALSE and
rename it as  is_protocol_referenced() or something, and only take the
int  proto hf field as parameter so one would write code like
    if(!is_protocol_referenced(proto_nfs)){
	tree=NULL
}

so one can also solve the problem with NLM and similar which calls
dissectors from other protocols and make nfs do
if( !is_protocol_referenced(proto_nfs)
  &&!is_protocol_referenced(proto_nlm)){
	tree=NULL;
}
3, document the new variable, the assumptions and howto use the new
optimization for dissectors so others can add it to the other
dissectors.
What values does it take for fields and protocols etc.

Then i will test it in a few days and check it in if
1, it seems to work
2, no one else has any objections (please comment, this can be a
potentially useful and powerful in optimizing runtime speed of
ethereal)