Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] makefile patches for plugins

From: "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:39:12 -0000
> Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] makefile patches for plugins
>

> Graham Bloice wrote:
> > minor patches for the docsis and irda plugin makefiles to be
> consistent with
> > other multi object source files.
>
> Some others have similar .c.obj rules, but don't set CC to "cl"; is
> there any reason to set it in the DOCSIS and IrDA plugins but not the
> MATE, XML, or stats tree plugins?

Just a bit of cut 'n paste.  As $CC was in the rule, it seemed to makes
sense that it was defined correctly to avoid any cygwin probs.

> And, at least as I read the on-line MSVC++ documentation, "-Fd.\" will
> just cause the PDB file to be written to the current directory with a
> VCx0.pdb name; the existing files with "-Fd" flags pass a name based on
> the name of the plugin.  (Should that be done for *all* Makefile.nmake
> files?)

Yes.  I was trying to debug a flaky dissector and ran into problems with
this.  If all pdb files have the correct name, then they "could" be added to
the install, or made available as a separate download so that debugging
release builds would be easier, or Dr Watson crash dumps would include
symbol info.

Graham