Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Debugging ethereal

From: "Senthil Prabu.S" <praboos@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:23:38 +0530
First, you be familiar with GDB to use it efficiently.
Refer this link, to get more details about GDB;

Then, normally core file are generated from the directory when U
run ur binary, ie ethereal. And also U can find it using find command.
Moreover, file command would help U to find who dumped that core file.

Ex:
$ file core
core:           core file from 'ethereal' - received SIGABRT
Then, U can invoke GDB as
$gdb ethereal core

Then you can analyse more using "bt" or "where" command. Also you
can print out symbols that caused the core file.

NOTE:
Also, you can set breakpoints where you added extra lines to ethereal source
and run ethereal under GDB. Get familiar with GDB, you can play a lot.

HTH,

--
Senthil Prabu.S