Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Dissector_add for an OUI value or even a MAC DA

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:40:04 -0800
Jeremy Georges wrote:
Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm in the process of writting a dissector for some L2 protocols that are
encapsalated in a SNAP packet.

Then you want to

1) write a "dissector" for the OUI for those protocols - see epan/dissectors/packet-{cisco,nt}-oui.c for two examples of how that's done;

2) write a dissector for your protocol which registers in the dissector table for the OUI "dissector" - see epan/dissectors/packet-dtp.c for a dissector that works that way.

Two approaches I can take, either utilize the
OUI ID of 0x00E02B

Use the OUI - that's what the above approach does.

My issue that I'm having is figuring out what PARENT_SUBFIELD options I
have. There is lots of info on tcp or udp based options (like tcp.port) But
what options do I have for an OUI specific value

llc.cisco_pid for Cisco's OUI and llc.nortel_pid for Nortel's OUI. For other OUIs you'll have to create one yourself - that's what the OUI "dissector" does.

I apoligize if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find an
exhaustive list anywhere that gives all possible fields that ethereal
supports for dissector_add() function (specifically the PARENT_SUBFIELDS).

There isn't one - the list changes over time, and, in fact, a *plugin dissector* can add one, so the list could be different if you've installed a plugin that doesn't come with Ethereal.

I wish I could do a dissector_add("oui.value", 0x00e02b, myproto_handle).

The equivalent of that would be the "llc_add_oui()" calls in packet-{cisco,nt}-oui.c.

However, that doesn't add a *dissector*, it just adds a new dissector *table* corresponding to the PID values for a particular OUI. You'd then have to add dissectors for the particular PID values to that table.