Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Bug with localized decimal separator

From: "Julian Fielding" <jfielding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:06:22 +0000
Guy Harris wrote:
>Lars Ruoff wrote:
>> B - When exporting a CList to CSV format, the exported data is
unusable,
>> since the comma "," is used as both the column- and decimal separator.
>
>That one's harder, but
<snip>

Why not make the field (column) delimiter a user preference?

Applications that can use delimited text often let the user choose from a
few common delimiters like comma "," or semi-colon ";", or specify an
arbitrary delimiter. If a user in a decimal-comma region sets delimiter to
";" and some other application can't use the result, all is not lost. Just
use a script or text editor to change every "," to ".", then every ";" to
",".

I suppose it would be necessary to change "CSV format" to something like
"delimited text format", with a note somewhere that if delimiter is left
at default (comma, of course) the result is CSV.

Julian.