Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] New XML plugin dissector

From: "Olivier Biot (Ethereal)" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:48:00 +0100
Hi list,

First of all, congrats to Luis Ontanon for this plugin, it's really nice!

Now I've been playing with it, and I realized that it doesn't yet handle <!DOCTYPE ...> and DTD definition tags (starting with "<!"). As I am not a lex expert, I propose someone (maybe Luis) adds this dissection to the plugin by completing the grammar in "/plugins/xml/xml_lexer.c". The markup declaration token can be named "markupdecl_start" (value: "<!") and is closed with a ">" token (see: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204 and search section 2.8 for "markup declaration"). I would also recommend renaming metatag_start ("<?") into xmlpi_start and metatag_end ("?>") into xmlpi_end as these constructs are used for XML Processing Instructions (PI).

I checked in a list of XML media types in the XML plugin registration. We will have to make sure all media types added in the XML plugin dissector get registered in "/epan/dissectors/packet-text-media.c" too, in case the XML dissector is disabled.

Best regards,

Olivier