Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Alternate techniques for building register.c

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:55:36 -0800
ronnie sahlberg wrote:
on platforms where nm is available i think even better would be
to run nm on libethereal.a  and then just grep for the appropriate symbols.

Well, "nm -p", at least, so we don't have to cope with the "improved" System V-style "nm" format of output.

register.c would have to be linked with explicitely though and can no
longer be part of libethereal.a though.

Use "nm" on the ".o" files, instead?

That *might* be sufficient to work on all UN*Xes, although I'd never underestimate the ability of the developers of a particular UN*X to "enhance" the output or command-line arguments of "nm" to the point of significant incompatibility (e.g., I think to get V7/BSD-style output on Digital UNIX, you used "-B", not "-p").