Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: packet-pgsql.c changes in 0.10.9

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:24:06 -0800
Guy Harris wrote:

Or perhaps the special -1/"max unsigned int" value could be eliminated, with a tvb_length_remaining() call being required, but that increases the number of tvb_length_remaining() calls, which I'd prefer not to do, as many such calls are inappropriate - it *doesn't* return the amount of data left in the packet, it returns the amount of *captured* data left in the packet, which isn't what dissectors should be using in most cases - and would involve a lot of changes to existing code (especially if it's eliminated throughout Ethereal).

Or perhaps separate versions of routines that take -1 as a special "to the end" value could be introduced, with the existing versions not treating -1 specially. If there are other negative values with special interpretations, we'd have to do something about those as well.

That's a significant change, however, and is very unlikely to happen for 0.10.10.