Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] I've disabled the welcome pane...

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:42:26 +0100
Hi List!

There seems to be some disagreement about if and how the welcome screen feature should be implemented. As I currently don't have the time to continue this, I've temporarily disabled it.

However, if Ethereal has no capture file open or is capturing right now (and don't set the "Update list of packets in Real Time" option), it will show a gray screen instead of the former three pane view.

We currently don't have a concept of adding something to an "empty document" (except while running a capture), so showing the three paned view if no capture file is open was completely misleading...

This would be different, if we would have something like a "Open new empty capture file" feature, but that's far far away from here ...

I might continue on this welcome screen topic later, after I've got more work done to this:

I will concentrate on the privilege seperation of the capture engine now, but only if time permits, and times really low these days for me :-(

Regards, ULFL