Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] MemWatch - detecting memory leaks

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:29:17 +0100
On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 02:18:06PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> >I think there are a couple of memory leaks still :-(
> >If I open a large capture on WinXP memory util goes from 400mb to
> >1000mb.
> >After closing ethereal memory goes down to 600mb, leaking 200mb.

After closing the file or after closing ethereal? In case it's really
after closing Ethereal, then maybe the memory is used by a still running
winpcap. If so, you need to report this to the developers of Winpcap.
In case it's Ethereal and not Winpcap, then there is probably a problem
that should be reported to the developers of the underlying operating
system.
In case it's the file: We may indeed have problems here.
Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge about the OS. On Linux I'd
propose the use of valgrind.

 Ciao
       Joerg