Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] New welcome pane

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:51:26 +0100
Graeme Hewson wrote:

I'm afraid I don't like the new welcome pane in the development version. I think someone starting Ethereal for the first time wants to get an overall impression of what the screen looks like, and doesn't necessarily want to start a capture or look at a capture file.

Well, but what does a user will see, when he/she starts Ethereal for the first time? It will show a three paned window with, well, *nothing* in it.

I've saw new user's waiting for some data coming up, as "nothing" was on the screen, only an empty window, unless I've told them that they have to load/capture some data. That was the main reason I've implemented that welcome pane.

There's no question that the design of the pane should be improved, maybe with the title and three columns "Work", "Settings", "Help" or such. But I wanted to wait for some reaction before spending too much time on this...

Could the welcome be in a popup?

I don't see any benefit of this, but you might explain the difference.

Regards, ULFL