Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] WSP filter question (was Re: [Ethereal-users] about plugins/modif

From: "Olivier Biot (Ethereal)" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:55:20 +0100
Hi,

The WSP dissector is part of Ethereal. However, you cannot create a "capture filter" for directly filtering on WSP packets so only those packets are written to file.

Did you already try using a "display filter" like "wsp" for filtering the relevant packets? You can then expand the dissection as required and select the "Export... as plain text" option, to write the dissections to a file you can then post-process. If you're used to XML, maybe the PDML export format might be useful to you.

Please note that sometimes WSP runs on nonstandard ports, due to WSP Redirects, or due to internal port and address translations. This means you'd probably need to do some "Decode As" for those packets.

Additionally, you can find WSP in SMS transport protocols (e.g., WAP Push).

Best regards,

Olivier

----- Original Message ----- From: "s a"

I am new to ethereal.My intention is to test WSP(wireless session protocol)
packet that i captured from WAP traffic with the standards recommended by the WAP forum limited and to rise message alerts logging results(whether satisfied or not)
seperately.
For this i can able to capture WSP packet by using ethereal and able
to compare the bit details in it with the WAP forum standards.
Instead of manually verifying this,i want to configure ethereal to log result
automatically when it detects WSP packet.I am pleased to know the way
i have to proceed in ethereal to achieve this.
                     Thanks for anyone enlighting me.