Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Priv sep in ethereal

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:58:23 +0100
Stephen Samuel (leave the email alone) wrote:

Couldn't someone write a 'withnpf' script that starts
NPF, runs ethereal and then stops NPF?

I realize that you'd still need a 'bare' ethereal for situations
where you want to run more than one instance of ethereal, but
this would be pretty good for the default situation.

Yes it would, but see below.

Similarly, are there 'start NPF' and 'stop NPF' icons available?

Not for now. The possibility to do so was come up just today (at least to my scope of knowledge) ...

Both sounds reasonable.

However, it maybe not that easy getting the current username from a script, as it's somewhat tricky on windows.

For my account that would be something like: %USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%. I'm unsure what it is on non domain (home) environments.

On Win9x systems the whole thing might be useless, even runas won't be there and geting the username might differ a lot, too.

So bringing up a such a script working on *all* windows environments would be useful, but not tivial.

However, if someone will do a try implement this, I'll try to bring it up on the environments I have at hand ("domained" 2000/XP).

Regards, ULFL