Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Priv sep in ethereal

From: "John McDermott" <jjm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:16:29 -0700
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:28:10 -0600 (CST), Jaime Fournier <ober@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Maybe a silly question but
isn't the fact we drop, or atleast we use to drop
the credentials of root after the capture device was opened.
I had submitted a patch to allow it to actually change it's
effective uid to nobody.

Maybe I am confused here, but wouldn't setting it to 'nobody' impact the ownership of files created during the run (e.g. prefs, etc.)? Should not the credentials be set to the actual user running the program?
--john

--
John McDermott, CCP
Writer, Educator, Consultant