Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] FW: [Ethereal-users] GUI for filters

From: Filonenko Alexander-AAF013 <AAF013@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:31:26 -0600
Sorry for a long email. I am looking for suggestions on how to make complex filters user friendly.

We are trying replace a home-grown Ethernet analysis tool with Ethereal. The old tool has a very convenient GUI for custom filter setup which represents 48 conditions. Users can setup a filter very quickly enable/disable a condition by clicking on the associated checkbox. Typically users have 12 to 20 conditions enabled. It is essential that filter setup is user friendly. The conditions can be easily written in Ethereal filter language but editing and verifying such a string becomes difficult.

What could be a workaround right now? I do not think that saving all combinations is useful - too many.

Is there a plan to implement a feature in Ethereal adding graphical filter representation? It could be a two stage process: 1) Filter template is created/edited that includes number of conditions 2) User enables/disables conditions defined by the template to create a specific Ethereal filter.

Thank you,
Alex Filonenko