Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Experience some difficulty installing ethereal in MontaVista Linu

From: "Teoh, Kok Liang" <kok.liang.teoh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:56:26 +0800

Hi there,

I was trying to install the Ethereal into my computer running on MontaVista Linux 3.1 and some errors popup.

I can successfully MAKE (install) the glib-2.6.1.tar.gz and libpcap-0.8.3.tar.gz.  However, when I tried to ./configure the pango-1.8.0.tar.gz file, I received some errors.  Same goes to the gtk+-2.6.1.tar.gz and ethereal-0.10.9.tar.gz.

These were what I did:-

gzip -dc pango-1.8.0.tar.gz | tar xvf -

cd pango-1.8.0

./configure

//....

checking for perl... perl

checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers

checking for gethostbyname... yes

checking for connect... yes

checking for remove... yes

checking for shmat... yes

checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes

checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1... Package fontconfig was not found in the pkg-

config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'

No package 'fontconfig' found

configure: WARNING: No fontconfig found, skipping tests for FreeType and Xft

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.5.7... no

*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...

*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the

*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.

configure: error:

*** Glib 2.5.7 or better is required. The latest version of

*** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

cd gtk+-2.6.1

./configure

//...

checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64

checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no

checking for some Win32 platform... no

checking for strerror in -lcposix... no

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes

checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config

checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.6.0    atk >= 1.0.1    pango >= 1.7.0... Package atk

was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `atk.pc'

No package 'atk' found

configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.6.0    atk >= 1.0.1    pan

go >= 1.7.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variabl

e if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

cd ethereal-0.10.9

./configure

//...

checking for pkgtrans... no

checking for rpm... yes

checking to see if we can redefine _topdir... yes

checking to see if we can add '-Wall -W ' to CFLAGS... yes

checking for platform-specific compiler flags... none needed

checking whether to use /usr/local for headers and libraries... yes

checking for GNU sed as first sed in PATH... yes

checking if profile builds must be generated... no

checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... no

*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...

*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the

*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/pkg-config

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no

*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...

*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means

*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong

*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your

*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point

*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that

*** is required on your system

***

*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although

*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH

configure: error: GLib2 distribution not found.

There are some recommendations after each error, but I really do not understand them.  Can you please suggest what step I should take?

Thanks

Regards,

Larry Teoh