Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] MAPI. Exchange 5.5.

From: Charles N Wyble <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:06:12 -0800
Wow. I am impressed with the quick and informative response. See my comments inline.

Ulf Lamping wrote:
Charles N Wyble wrote:

All,

Hello. Let me introduce myself. My name is Charles Wyble. I am the lead developer on the open source exchange replacement project. I am working with lkcl (www.lkcl.net) on mapi and exchange reverse enginering. I would like to take over maitenence of the mapi dissector. Does any one have any objections to this? My website fyi is http://www.thewybles.com/~charles . I am in the process of writing up dociumenation on the whole exchange/mapi decode thing. Look for it within the next few weeks :)

Hi Charles!
Afternoon.

The development model of Ethereal is: Someone (in this case you)
nah. not me. my evil twin :)
 are
developing some extensions to an existing dissector (or creates a new one), and then creates and sends a patch to this list.
correct.
 One of the core
developers (probably not me) will review the patch and check it into the subversion repository.
cool. this is the usual way it works with open source projects.
 However, it's always a good idea to ask this list
(as you've done :-) so double effort will be reduced if someone else is working on the same topic.
right. i knew lkcl was doing some work in the area, but didn't think he had gotten to the ethereal portion.

So patches are welcome :-)
i will see what i can cook up.

If you are new to Ethereal development, you might have a look at the Ethereal Developer's Guide at http://wiki.ethereal.com/Development

thank you. i was un aware of this resource. i would reccomend a more
prominent display of it on the ethereal dev page. http://ethereal.com/development.html
(which is incomplete and a bit windows focused as I've written it and I only develop under Windows) and the file doc/README.developer.
yes. i have read the doc/README.developer file. thank you for the pointer though.