Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] use a outside program from ethereal code

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:39:15 -0700
bujecas@xxxxxx wrote:

I would like to call a Ruby program from a dissector code of Ethereal.
It's possible to do this? How?

Ethereal doesn't have an embedded {Perl,Python,Ruby,Lua,REXX,Visual Basic,...} interpreter, so there's no way to call a program in one of those languages so that it runs in the Ethereal process itself.

On platforms that have, for example, "popen()", it might be possible to run the Ruby interpreter and the program in a *separate* process and collect the output from that process; however, I don't know whether, for example, you can use "popen()" in a Windows GUI application, so it might not be possible to make this work on all platforms - and, of course, it wouldn't be possible to make it work on a platform without a Ruby interpreter. :-)

If you're doing this for a private version of Ethereal, those might not be issues. If, however, this would be intended for the standard Ethereal release, those issues would have to be addressed somehow.