Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] help needed about libpacp

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:37:02 -0700
Questions about libpcap are best asked on the tcpdump-workers@xxxxxxxxxxx list, but...

akshar SNIFFER wrote:

I am planing to develop a WLAN sniffer , Can we set the WLAN card to promiscus
mode using PCAP library .

Libpcap has a "promisc" argument to "pcap_open_live()"; if that argument is non-zero, libpcap will attempt to put the network interface into promiscuous mode.

Whether that *works* depends on the driver for the network interface. On Windows, unfortunately, promiscuous mode doesn't work very well. It tends to work better on Linux and the BSDs.